Responsible home ownership means several things. It means paying your bills on time, maintaining your property, and also securing insurance to protect your residence from covered perils such as fire, natural disasters, and theft. Some home insurers provide discounts to customers with security systems. Are you wondering about the effectiveness of these systems? Here are some things you should know about home security.
Security System Fun Facts
Based on recent studies on security systems, here are some facts to chew on:
- As much as 40% of burglars avoid properties with alarm systems.
- Most intruders want to avoid alarms altogether and are more likely to abandon their plans if they discover a home is armed.
- Homes without alarm systems are three times as likely to be burglarized.
- 9 out of 10 convicted burglars would avoid attempts on a protected home.
- A home security system is not just a theft deterrent for one property, but also for others nearby.
According to recent studies, 90% of police departments believe that alarms deter theft and burglary.
Things To Consider
Having a home security system is the single most important thing you can have to defend your property from theft and unlawful entry. More homeowners are installing security systems each year, but here are some things to consider for your residence. It’s not enough to have an alarm system. You want one that is installed by a reputable company and professionally monitored 24-7. To discourage would-be thieves from breaking and entering your home, you should have signage that shows your property is armed and monitored.
There are thousands of home security companies to choose from. It’s important to go with a company that has a strong reputation. You can find plenty of rankings online, but word-of-mouth and referrals from friends can help you narrow down your choices. Factors to consider include your budget, level of protection, installation requirements, technology, and customer service.