Skip to content

Protection From the Silent Killer

camera

To feel in safe your home, you might invest in quality locks and security systems. However, there is more to being prepared than defending against a visible enemy. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. Because it is odorless and colorless, you won’t be able to see it coming. The best way to defend against the threat of this toxic element is to invest in a carbon monoxide detection service.

Symptoms of a Problem

Most homes are equipped with working fire detectors, and it is wise to install a carbon monoxide detector. If your home uses natural gas or your home has an attached garage, you are more susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning. If there is a leak, you or your family will experience a variety of symptoms that are often blamed on a virus or the flu. You will experience headaches, dizziness, vomiting, disorientation, fatigue and even weakness.

How to Solve the Problem

Without immediate medical attention, the situation is extremely dangerous. This why it is important to have your carbon monoxide detection service as a part of another security monitoring system. There is another person keeping an eye on the carbon monoxide levels that can give you an instant alert. There are some things you can do if exposure has been detected.

  1. Get everyone out of the house immediately.
  2. Call for emergency services.
  3. Open the doors and windows of your home before you exit.
  4. Turn off all appliances that may be the source of the gas.
  5. Stand far away from the structure while you wait for assistance.

Carbon monoxide poising can be treated if addressed early. You can take care to avoid a leak by following a few simple rules. Never leave your car running in the garage with the door down. Have all appliances properly installed, and check that all gas lines, piping, chimneys, flues and heating systems are up to code.

For the best in carbon monoxide detection, work with a security company for your alarms and notifications. This is not an area you want to leave up to chance.